Monday, October 11, 2010

Mother Teresa's Hands

This picture speaks to me. When I was a little girl we visited Mother Teresa in Calcutta. It was a day or two before Christmas and the nuns and children were decorating a rather sad little plastic tree with the only decoration they had.... cotton puffs.  But the joy and gratitude they exhibited was palpable.   They were signing carols and just giddy with happiness. Mother Teresa greeted each one of us individually. My father, my mother, and me. She held our hands in her hands and greeted us as though each one of us was the very center of her universe at that moment. I can still remember the feel of her hands to this day. They were very hard and rough and yet so loving and gentle. The hands of this amazing woman were so powerful and yet so tender. It saddens me to this day that her passing did not receive the attention it deserved because Princess Diana died a week earlier. I am not a religious person but even I recognize that this woman was more than all of us could ever aspire to be.

Here are some links to other sites.

http://www.motherteresa.org/

http://www.ewtn.com/motherteresa/

9 comments:

FrankNApril said...

I love Mother Teresa! I just posted her book on my facebook. What an example she is to me:) I love your post too! Thanks for sharing. April

Eva said...

Marlis, too late to write more, but that's amazing! I'll comment more in a few days.

Marlis said...

FranknApril, she was a light to many people.

Thanks for stopping in Eva, hope all is going well with you guys!

Eva said...

Marlis, how did your parents manage to meet Mother Teresa with you? Isn't that quite unusual? She was an amazing woman. Do you know Frère Roger from Switzerland? He was a similar person although his ministry was very different. He was the founder of Taizé. I once met him here in the U.S. and was very touched by him.

Marlis said...

We were in Calcutta and my parents stopped by to make a donation. We weren't rich but my parents felt strongly about making a contribution. We really didn't imagine that Mother Teresa would take the time to greet us.

A Homeschool Story said...

Mother Teresa is one of the great heroes of the world. I felt the same way about her death, sadly overshadowed by Princess Diana.

What a lasting and precious memory you have of meeting her.

Neat post, and one of my favorite photos of la mere Therese.

Vamsi said...

Is there any need of another Teresa to this world??????

Vamsi said...

Still there are so many people in the world with no food,house etc..What is the problem behind this....?can't we eradicate poverty?

Vamsi said...

So many people likes Mother Teresa...but are they following her?I'm so thankful to her.Because as a Indian I know her service to our people.Still there is a need for such type of service.I hope every one will take response on every of the other people in the society by some day.....